I know there are juniors reading this. Come out, come out wherever you are.
Half a term's gone by so fast. I'm really enjoying my seminars this term, in a low-key-enthusiastic sort of way, not really like the excitement and debates I had in my very first term, and not in that cloud of apathy that engulfed me during the Victorian module. I can actually feel my arguments solidifying now. I still procrastinate. I still rush my work. I still leave reading my text to the last minute (literally finishing it five minutes before the seminar is about to start), but now I'm getting so much more out of it than I ever thought possible. I don't have problems speaking up in seminar now, and the only difficulty I ever run across is in finding books in the library for extra reading. Maybe it's because I've got a tutor this term that specialises in this particular period. Her knowledge and passion for the 18th century is palpable whenever she starts speaking, and so far all the extracts she's chosen for reading have been superb.
Plus she gives us a coffee break in the middle of the seminar, and oh. It's such a lifesaver, especially since right after our two hour seminar we have to troupe back up to Alcuin (from Vanbrugh) for a lecture that leaves no time for lunch. At least after that it's a short stagger back to my place before I die of hunger.
I'm living with three other Singaporeans this year, and I must say, I've been really lucky. We're gelling together so well, and they've passed the litmus test of listening (ie, actually being interested in Backstreet news whenever I stroll into the kitchen with a huge grin/frown). We've also gotten into the habit of ordering stuff together, and cooking and having dinner together. We have a duty roster for dinner! It's fun in ways I'd have never imagined.
Also, I went temporarily insane and auditioned for the campus musical. They're doing FAME this year (which was the only reason why I thought of auditioning in the first place), and I got myself a place in the chorus. Our first practice was today, and I surprised myself by actually managing to sing along (although I'd much prefer having sheet music in front of me rather than following the piano).
One last thing, this whole internet fan community/forum/chat thing? Is making me feel superconnected. In any one day I talk to people from four different continents, and if they're from the US, to people in at least three different states. And that's just people I got to know from online. (Before you go into the whole spiel about deception and serial rapists that operate on the internets, don't worry. I'm not stupid. If anything, I'm too paranoid myself.)
Whew. That was long. Seeing as how I actually have some sort of social life this year, I think I'll be updating more.
Friday, November 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment