Wednesday, November 22, 2006
and if i'm flying solo, at least i'm flying free
(London Apollo Victoria, 4th November. Not my performance, but my show was better.)
Wicked is my current musical obsession. I was and still am very surprised to find out that many Brits didn't hear of Idina Menzel before Wicked. They didn't even know RENT, much less know that she originated the role of Maureen in that, for which she earned a Tony nomination. She won the Tony for Best Actress in 2004 for Elphaba. And seriously? Ailin and I were so happy that we got Idina as Elphaba for our show that we did a Happy Dance right in the Foyer of the Apollo Victoria. IDINA. The show has a few big songs and a lot of filler ones, but the big ones are so good I'm just ignoring the rest for now. Idina was just simply amazing, and at our show she sang better than she did on the soundtrack, and I was just so happy. Later I found out that the previous week she sat out five performances because of a throat problem, and we only just managed to get her, nicely rested. Talk about luck.
My weekend of musicals and museums in London also included Avenue Q, with cute puppeteers/cast members, and the glory that is Ann Harada (original Broadway cast)
(PS, the cute cast members are the ones playing the Bert and Ernie lookalikes)
How can I not like a musical that has songs called "What Do You Do With A B.A. in English?", "The Internet Is For Porn", "It Sucks To Be Me" and "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist"?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment