A bit of backstory: During the summer while Lin was interning at you-know-where, she messaged me asking if I would mind being interviewed by her colleague for an article about MTV.
Ohhhh, MTV. The love/hate thing has long dissolved into a bitter pool of pure, acid hate. I got my rant when her colleague called, and basically ranted about how MTV as a whole was becoming increasingly irrelevant because they just didn't care about their audience any more. There was more to my rant than just that, but that was the basic jist. I don't think her colleague was expecting someone that watched MTV semi-religiously to be that well-spoken, but after she was finished with her questions, she thanked me and said that my views were very good and interesting, and I was very clear with my elaborations. (Nevermind that when the article finally came out, it only quoted one sentence I said that could've been said by anyone else. Something along the lines of "MTV is becoming increasingly irrelevant.")
The Hollywood grapevine this week is abuzz with the apparent news that Vanessa Minnilo got fired/quit, and that Kurt Loder was fired by MTV. (By the way, Vanessa? Find another job soon, or else you and Nick will be living on the residual public sympathy for Nick.) I could care less about Vanessa, but Kurt freaking Loder? The face of MTV news for so long? THE LAST THING THAT WAS GOOD ON MTV?!
You touch Kurt Loder, you die, MTV.
R.I.P. For MTV's TRL?
The future of MTV's signature music video show, Total Request Live, looks precarious, illustrating the Viacom network's struggles to stay relevant in an increasingly Web-based media landscape.
Speculation inside MTV and at the major music labels has been mounting that TRL, a daily afternoon show that has been experiencing declining ratings, will soon be canceled or scaled back to two days a week. The newest fuel for the rumor mill: the fact that much of the staff at TRL's studio at New York City's Times Square was laid off late Tuesday, including members of the wardrobe, makeup and technical staff.
This is not just a case of MTV not using the internets properly. It's a case of MTV ignoring their core audience and not playing music videos any more like their name says.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment