Sunday, August 13, 2006

Knowledge = Power?

I'm currently reading The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World, in which an Esquire editor sets out to finish reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica in the space of a year. It's divided into 26 chapters, one for each letter of the alphabet, and written in small snippets with his comments about certain entries that caught his eye and how his incessant fact-insertion into everyday conversations made his family and friends steer away from him at gatherings.

It's hilarious. I'm currently up to L, and I like the tone he uses. It's written in the guise of a weekly column much in the style of Neil Humphreys or Colin Goh...except funnier. And a lot more amusing. The constant pop culture references help a lot too.

I'm trying to ease my way back into reading for pleasure. I haven't done that since middle of my freshman year at uni. It's fairly liberating, but at the same time it's also eating into time that should be spent working on my essay and/or reading for my next module. Which is ironic, because my desire to read for pleasure disappeared around the same time that I lost my writing mojo. I don't know if there's a link, but in any case I'm just trying. And even if I don't get my writing mojo back...then at least I can read with my brain switched off from lit mode.

No comments: