I'd like to think that I'm rather zen when I'm on my own. Long queues don't faze me, I shrug off racial slurs and weird looks in my direction, I hold pleasant and non-intrusive conversations with people manning cash registers, I don't mind walking everywhere. Or maybe it's just the cold. It's when I'm with other people that I get reactionary and start getting offended/pissed off/impatient, and I wonder if that's indicative of something else going on underneath the surface...
In any case, I didn't bat an eyelid today when I discovered that I had a 17kg parcel waiting for me at the porter's lodge. Even after an exhausting day consisting of nonstop reading and two intensive seminars back to back (and having a button pop off my coat after I bent down to retrieve my dropped keycard, leaving me walking around campus with a half-buttoned coat), I merrily went down with an empty suitcase so that I could drag it up two flights of stairs. Amongst the extra shirts, sauce packets, instant milo and random supplies, was a Buddhist themed poster from my parents. Source of zen? Maybe. I really wouldn't know. Maybe it's the bracing cold.
I often tell people that after reading and dealing with such intense and cheem stuff at school, I have to switch to low forms of art in order to let my brain rest. Which is technically true *coughBOYBANDScough*, because that's my main reason for watching chick flicks and randomly flipping TV channels.
I don't have a TV here, but I do have drunk flatmates to poke. It's becoming really predictable. They go out to The Charles, come back around 11.30, and I go out and chat with them for an hour or so while they're pleasantly buzzed and very, very silly. It makes for very cheap and good entertainment.
Friday, November 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment